Doctor cleared to pratise oncology after investigation

Sydney cancer specialist Dr Kiran Phadke has been cleared to return to work after spending almost 12 months at the centre of a gruelling investigation by health authorities.

On Thursday, the chief executive of South Eastern Sydney Local Health District, Gerry Marr, announced Dr Phadke's suspension had been lifted with immediate effect.

An investigation launched by the SESLHD found 14 haematology patients at the Sutherland and St George hospitals were harmed or vulnerable to future harm as a result of Dr Phadke's treatment decisions after probing a sample of his patient records.

"It has been agreed with Dr Phadke that he will not practise haematology on his return to the workplace," Mr Marr said in a statement.

But the oncologist and haematologist can return to his oncology practice, given there were no adverse findings concerning his oncology patients.

Dr Phadke was suspended in June last year after a nurse raised concerns about his treatment.

Then health minister Jillian Skinner publicly named him during a press conference in which she also addressed the flat-dosing at St Vincent's in May 2016.

Flanked by roughly 180 supporters at a parliamentary inquiry hearing in March, Dr Phadke claimed he was the target of a vexatious investigation and "thrown under the bus" by Ms Skinner, who had been marred by a series of public hospital errors.

Councillor Carol Provan, who helped lead a grass roots campaign in support for Dr Phadke, said he deserved an apology and an explanation as to how he became the subject of the investigation.

"The main thing is the community needs Dr Phadke, and now they will have him back again," Cr Provan said.

"It has been a cruel process for them, as well as for him."

It is understood the NSW Medical Council has placed some supervision conditions on his practice.

The story Doctor cleared to pratise oncology after investigation first appeared on The Sydney Morning Herald.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop